Sunday, July 13, 2008

"STP, no, it is not a disease..."

This weekend Erik biked the STP (Seattle to Portland). This ride is 200 miles! I will admit I was nervous about him doing it at all but he was very confident and two days is a long time. We drove up to Andy and Marylyn's house Friday and spent the night. At 3:45 am we woke, Erik ate pancakes and I drove him to downtown Seattle to meet up with Mark Small and Ron Child, from our ward (church) at about 5:00 am. I was excited at this point and took some pictures like a goof but they are nice. These three biked for about 85 miles togther, until Erik had to fall back 15 miles outside of Centralia (mid-point, 100 mile mark). He reached Centralia at about 10:30 or 11:00 am. Wow! Erik calls me and I am amazed and proud. His initial plan was to get to Centralia and see how it goes from there. We thought he would spend the night there and finish the other half the next day, but it was still so early. I have to say that I am so grateful for Erik to have been able to ride with these experienced riders even for just half. They really gave him great advice, help, and support.

So next he figured he would make it to Castle Rock, this was the 150 mile mark. This part of the trek was awful because of the rolling hills. I can only imagine. He said that he kept thinking that one more mile would be one he wouldn't have to do tommorow, one more mile was more time he could rest in his own bed and at home tommorow. He kept thinking of reaching not the next rest stop but the one after. Erik amazingly pushed through and reached Castle Rock at about 2:00 pm and reached Portland proper at 8:00pm. Analiese and I met him at the finish line and that was really cool. It was awesome to see all the bikers fly by to cross the finish line. It made it really exciting. So Erik got a One Day patch for finishing the race. This is a coveted patch from what we heard. His sunburn is hilarious, he was definately dehydrated, and very sore but also happy and proud. It was a great experience.

Erik ready to go at 5:00 am, Downtown Seattle.

Left to Right: Erik, Mark Small, and Ron Child

Erik racing in at 8 pm that night! Yea!

Erik tired and exhausted at the end of his 200 mile ride.

Erik's awesomely horrible sunburn. Stopped only by his jersey, watch, and gloves. Note the watch mark on the right wrist, up close you can even see the holes from the band. Classic.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Way to go, Erik!! What an amazing accomplishment. Those pictures of his tan lines are pretty funny. Tell him congratulations! (and what a cute, supportive wife you are to be there at the beginning, middle and end!)

Steph said...

That's so awesome, Erik! Congrats!

thepalmierifamily said...

Way to go Erik! That sounds worse than a marathon to me. After either I can only imagine it's hard to walk straight for a few days. Hope everything's going well with the pregnancy. Julie

Candice said...

You just have a littl bit longer to go. I hope that you are feeling well and are happy! I miss you!